Sunday, May 15, 2011

Voyage to Guangxi



The week before my 28th birthday was quite eventful. I traveled from Hunan Province with my friends Nick and Sarah to the cities of Guilin and Yangshuo in the neighboring Guangxi Autonomous Region. Guilin and Yangshuo are major tourist centers and I was definitely looking forward to getting a taste of Western culture after spending such a horrendously cold and dreary winter in Shaoyang.

We were to travel five hours by bus, leaving Shaoyang on the morning of April 3rd. The day got off to a rather unpleasant start when I had to make a quick visit to the restroom before departure. Whoever is responsible for cleaning the Shaoyang North Bus Station's mens room ought to be brought before the Hague for crimes against humanity. There was human waste at least 6 inches deep in every toilet. I have a rather weak stomach when it comes to such things, and I fled the bathroom coughing and gagging violently. I ran back to Nick and Sarah, my face red, hair messed up, tears running down my face, coughing and retching. They thought I had been assaulted... which was true in a sense. My mind and my psyche had been assaulted. Truly the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in person.

But enough about that. The rest of the trip was more pleasant, I promise.

The bus ride was rather uneventful, and we arrived in the city of Guilin early on a cool, rainy afternoon. Our first stop was our hostel, The Backstreet. I was excited and a little apprehensive because I'd never stayed in a hostel before. But it was quite nice and had a lot of people from many different countries. It was nice to just sit in the lobby and watch the people come and go, speaking dozens of different languages.

Since we were only spending one night in Guilin, we stayed in the tourist district, doing some shopping and sampling different foods and going to a bar. I tried sushi for only the second or third time in my life. I tried some crab with caviar on it and some baby octopuses in something that tasted a bit like barbeque sauce. They were ok I suppose, but I after a few bites I was done. I could never make a meal out of such a thing. Just not my cup of tea.

The next day we had to rise early to make a bus that was to take us to the Lijiang, or Li River, for a bamboo boat tour that would take us to Yangshuo. The Lijiang, along with Phuket in Thailand, was the basis for the Chewbacca's home planet of Kashyyyk in Star Wars. During the two hour boat trip we saw some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. The karst topography along the river consists of hundreds of small, very steep limestone peaks covered in vegetation. The rain, mist, low-hanging clouds, and the overpowering GREENNESS of the area created a level of natural beauty verging on the mystical. It was a refreshing and much-needed dose of nature after the stark, polluted, industrial slums of Shaoyang.

While on the boat, I sat next to a very nice Royal Air Force pilot named Chris who was touring China. Chris was also traveling to Yangshuo. He and some other foreigners he had already befriended joined us for a round of drinks at the rooftop bar of Monkey Jane's, our very cool hostel in Yangshuo. We had a very diverse group of individuals over the course of the evening: Americans, Canadians, English, Scottish, Germans, and Dutch. It was like a mini-NATO summit. From the roof of the hostel, we could see all of Yangshuo. It was surrounded by the river on one side, and the lovely karst peaks were visible in all directions, some of them topped with brightly-lit colorful temples. I'm a sucker for a nice skyline and Yangshuo did not disappoint.

One of the other English lads noticed that there was an unusual deal on the menu: Watch a snake being killed, get to drink its blood and eat its still-beating heart, get a snake meat meal cooked, and get a free Monkey Jane's t-shirt. Saying he would go through with it provided he didn't have to pay for it, we took up a collection and the snake was duly caught and brought to us for photos.

I am violently afraid of snakes, but having had a few beers, I was able to at least stand on the opposite side of the roof instead of jumping off. After a photo shoot, the lady who brought the snake whipped out a pair of scissors and proceeded to decapitate the serpent, much to everyone's horror. The blood was then mixed with baijiao, a ubiquitous Chinese liquor somewhat akin to antifreeze, which was then drunk. Unfortunately the heart was lost in the preparation process and he didn't get to eat it. Quel dommage.

But all was not lost, soon there was a steaming plate of snake rice and a bowl of snake soup on the table. I was game enough to try some of the snake meat, which was chewy and, true to the cliche, tasted like chicken, but had a consistency somewhere between pork and shrimp. I only tried a bite. I would like to have had a bit more, but having just watched the varmint being slaughtered in a bloody reptilian holocaust, I wasn't feeling much like chowing down.

The rest of our trip consisted of climbing Full Moon Mountain, which has a perfectly round hole straight through the middle of it. This was truly a trying experience; 800 marble steps to the top. I'm a good bit slimmer than when I arrived in China, but it took a lot of huffing and puffing and more than a few rest stops to get to the top... but I did it! I was quite proud of myself, too.

Our last day in Yangshuo consisted of a trip to an underground cave system, complete with underground river, mud baths, and hot springs. These were truly impressive caves, by far the largest I have ever been in. The sparkly rocks, huge stalactites and stalagmites, and underground waterfalls were truly impressive. I had an Indiana Jones moment when I was crossing a bridge over one of the rivers and the board gave way and I suddenly found that I was up to my thigh in broken bridge pieces. Fortunately I was unhurt, so no worries there!

I'd never swam in hot springs before, so I was particularly looking forward to this. They weren't as large as I'd hoped, but the water was nice and warm and we all had a very relaxing time. I was warned I'd probably smell like rotten eggs afterwards, but I'd never felt so clean in my life as when I got out! In the springs I met a cool guy from Tennessee named Derek who has been teaching near Shanghai for a while.It was nice to hear another Southern accent. It turns out his family has a beach house in Garden City, SC one of my favorite places in the world, and only about a 40 minute drive from my home. Just goes to show what a small world it is!

I hated to leave Yangshuo, particularly when I compared it to the gloom of Shaoyang. It's truly a beautiful city and I hope I can go back again someday. It's very clean and modern, with lots of foreigners and English-speaking Chinese. There's all the pizza, hamburgers, Western-style breakfasts and cheesecake one could ever want (Shaoyang not having much in the way of Western food other than McDonald's and KFC). If you're ever in or near Guangxi Province, it's definitely worth a visit!

No comments:

Columbia, South Carolina Current Weather

Current Time and Date in Columbia, South Carolina, United States of America

Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot Speech