Monday, May 16, 2011

Teacher, Teacher, do you know Sissi?



Talking to one of my classes about different countries, I mentioned Austria in passing. I don't even remember why it was brought up. But imagine my surprise when one of my students asked me "Teacher, Teacher! Do you know Sissi?"

Sissi being the Empress-Queen Elisabeth of Austria-Hungary, wife of Emperor Franz Josef. Sissi was a rebel to royal ways and a fashion icon, very much in the vein of Princess Diana who lived a century later.

Being a fan of Austro-Hungarian history and the Hapsburg Dynasty, I was very much pleased by this. Particularly so when, in many ways, Chinese teenagers are even worse than American teens when it comes to caring about anything more than 15 minutes old. When I asked my student how she knew who Sissi was, she said she had seen the movies about her and liked them very much.

I think I made a new friend.

No comments:

Columbia, South Carolina Current Weather

Current Time and Date in Columbia, South Carolina, United States of America

Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot Speech