Saturday, November 6, 2010

Go East, Young Man!

Well folks, I've returned to my blog to start documenting my impending departure for China. I will be gone for at least six months, possibly longer if I choose to stay.

I've been taking Chinese lessons for several weeks now through the Chinese Culture Center in Columbia, SC, and they are helping to place me in a school in Hunan Province, which is in southern China. I don't know exactly where I will be yet.

Today after class I signed my contract and it's now official.

I am terribly nervous and excited at the same time. Change is always at least a little frightening, but it's much-needed change. Life has been pretty stagnant lately. Not being able to find work in my field, I tried my hand at real estate. Columbia was pretty fortunate for most of the current economic downturn, and its real estate market had been pretty well insulated from the worst of the recession and its aftermath. That is, until I became a Realtor. Talk about bad timing.

In this year I have known the indescribable joy of falling in love for the first time and also the inhuman pain of having your heart broken for the first time. I guess this hit me a little later than most people, but it happens to us all eventually. I don't bear any ill-will, however. He's an amazing, talented, funny and totally gorgeous guy who I still think the world of... it just didn't work out. Perhaps another time or another place... but not now. That said, it has also nearly killed me. I never knew such pain was possible, and  I never thought I could miss someone so much. I've cried over this more than I have anything else before. There will probably always be a part of me that loves him. I think that's true with a lot of first loves. But I'm slowly getting better, and this is just another challenge to overcome.

Most of my old college friends have left Columbia and moved to other parts of the state and country. My best friend Erin is getting ready to leave for graduate school. With her departure, I will truly be alone in Columbia as far as having close friends nearby.

So as you can see, as much as I will miss Columbia, I think the universe is telling me that I have accomplished all I can do here. Career, Love, and Friendships have all reached an end point for me here. It's time to move on.

And that's where China comes in. In this blog, I hope to document the excitement, the fear, the happiness, the sadness, and the anxiety that come from picking up and leaving the place you have lived your entire life. Now that I'm setting out on a new path and seeking to reshape my destiny, charting a new course on one of the new frontiers of human development, I welcome you all along for the ride with me.

A note about the new name of my blog. "Go West, young man" was newspaperman and politician Horace Greeley's advice to young men during the nineteenth century. Well, there's no more frontier in the United States, and there is so much growth and development going on in Asia that now I think the phrase should be "Go East, young man!" So I shall. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Tab, sounds like you're off on a wonderfull adventure. Good luck and keep the blog updated - would love to read about all your experiences!
Ciao Auret

Columbia, South Carolina Current Weather

Current Time and Date in Columbia, South Carolina, United States of America

Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot Speech